SEARCH BLOG FOR ANYTHING HERE!

Sunday, January 14, 2018

A Sunday Drive 2018 Subaru Crosstrek and the Fujfilm X10

A Sunday Drive, the 2018 Subaru Crosstrek and Fujfilm X10
January 2018, Carl Garrard

2017 was a challenging and difficult year, both for those I love and for myself personally. I'm sure there would  be relative testimony from many of my readers about last year as well. I'm particularly glad it's behind all of us. But, although time is a man made idea, sometimes it seems a new year can bring good luck and fortune. This year, although in its beginnings, has been the best start to a year that I can recall in some time, it feels like its a year of healing after licking some wounds. And thus a good Sunday morning drive can be a great way to take some time to reflect on all the good things we have in our lives, and see some natural beauty too. That was my morning today and yesterday, whilst driving my newly acquired 2018 Subaru Crosstrek and the Fujifilm X10 as my companion.
Fujifilm X10 Current Used Prices


25mph and listening to John Denvers greatest hits. My mom loved him, and thus so do I.

As I sit here writing, I'm eating warmed buttered coffee cake and sipping on coffee (my special protein and MCT oil concoction, don't ask). I'm thinking about my drive today. How the world seems to rest on Sunday mornings, and how the air seems to have a special, sort of relaxed atmosphere to it. Since I'm one to take advantage of whimsical spontaneous motivation, I reflect with humility on how I could have just gone home after getting my coffee instead of deciding to just drive. I ended up driving to Silverado Canyon here in Orange County California - the long way. What a great experience it turned out to be. It's funny, I never seem to permanently learn the lesson that life will reward you with greater experiences sometimes if you just slow down to soak it up. I'm glad I need the reminders.

Sunshine, yep, you gotta have a nickname.


I waited a couple of years for my new Crosstrek while Subaru refined its design; which, as planned, will serve as my adventure mule for my photo, hiking, and cycling adventures. It was worth the wait. It's a great choice as vehicle for those needing an AWD adventure machine on a modest budget. It seems a bit more apropos in comparison to my speedy Impreza WRX that I sold. I needed something to slow me down a little. Not often enough do I realize that when I'm in the mood to slow down and soak life up, my photography too seems to benefit from that mindset. And since Fujifilm design cameras that invite this frame of mind, the X10 seemed a nice companion to have with me in my new vehicle at all times. Turns out, it was.


Always a sucker for soft diffused light from the sky. Taken before my drive out.

 The morning was beautiful here in So Cal. The air was warm as a result of a high pressure system soon to exit, supplemented with beautiful stratus and cirrus clouds nearly filling the entire great blue sky. Mostly diffused light was thus everywhere, softening contrast just enough to make good light last through the later hours of the morning. Lots of photo opportunities everywhere. Yet instead of stopping for them all, I kept on with my relaxed state of mind and just shot moving images along my route. Today was mostly about reflection, photography was my companion this time, not my master. I wanted to be inspired naturally and to make fewer images. Today, my senses were being massaged, I wasn't in the mood to rush a thing, and I didn't care if I missed an opportunity or two.


Classic. Someone else had the same idea.

The apex of  trip came at the end of Silverado Canyon road, which is both a parking area and turnabout. From here, Silverado Canyon fire road will take you to the top of Santiago Peak, when the mostly dirt road is open for vehicles. Today it was not, since So Cal recently got its first big soak of the rain season. I decided to get out, make a few snaps, feel the air for a bit. The symphony of wind in the oaks and sycamores, was delightful. I could have set up a hammock, grabbed a book, and relaxed under a tree all day long. Yet life beckons, despite my pedestrian mood. It was time to head home and work on planning the rest of my adventures for the day.

A huge Sycamore greets  you at the end of the road, making for dramatic contrast to the sky.

Photography is such a versatile art. It can be so many different things and none all at once. But one thing about photography remains consistent no matter what- It's always rewarding for the mind, the body, and the spirit. Take your favorite camera out for a Sunday drive and see what surprises come your way. As for my coffee cake and coffee concoction, it served as my proverbial exclamation point on this mornings lovely outing.

Stay focused.

-Carl Garrard
Fujifilm X10 Current Used Prices

If you must donate, here's your link
paypal.me/photographiccentral













1 comment:

  1. Good to see the X10 getting an outing Carl . Mine still go,s everywhere with me . Excellent article, Thanks

    ReplyDelete